Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Mommy" Quiet Time...Here's How I Do It!

For those of you who are moms (or parents), especially of small children, you know how hard it is to find personal time. I love spending time with my son & I've figured out a way to do it while feeding my soul at the same time! My little guy (who is 9 months young) likes to watch Baby Einstein videos. So, when he is starting to wind down from playing, I will put him in his chair (which is one of those infant-to-toddler chairs...love it!) & turn on a video while I sit with my laptop on the floor right next to him. In the past months, I've just watched the videos with him, but I realized that I could be getting some things done even while sitting on the floor during this time (like drawing in my sketch pad to release some creative energy & feed my "artsy" soul)! So now, one of the things I do while he is watching his video is to put my earphones in my laptop and put on some instrumental praise & worship music while reading my Bible. I can still hear him if he starts to fuss, but when he's not fussing & enjoying the movie, the praise & worship music echos in my ears and allows me to relax & prioritize my thoughts onto the L-rd. Sure, it's not "true" personal quiet time like I used to have when I was single & didn't have a baby, but I've learned that G-d loves any time I can give Him, even if it's just for 15-20 minutes at a time. And even if it's not for an hour, while sitting on my porch at the break of dawn or the quiet of night, it's time with Him and it's sacred, sweet and personal to me. When we love someone, we want to spend time with them, even if it's for just a few minutes focusing on each other...my heart wants to please the Lord and seek Him whenever I can. And so, this is one of the ways it works in my life right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment